Classroom Management Goals

At the end of ED640, we were prompted to create goals for ourselves as educators to better serve the students we teach every day. My overall goal is to keep my students engaged in activity from bell to bell. One of the biggest battles I have had in classroom management is that my students were not always engaged in lesson activities. This would cause for my students to become bored and thus engage in off task behavior that usually consisted of side conversations that distracted the class from the tasks that they were supposed to be accomplishing at that time.

To better alleviate these issues, I really took the time to get to know my students and I realized that they love to have any excuse to move around. Therefore, I made an effort to create jobs for my few students that love to move around. One of my newest classroom management strategies was to incorporate a sticker system for successful completion of the bell ringer/ drill prior to the timer going off after five minutes have elapsed. How I would assign the job is the first student who completes their bell ringer receives a sticker and then has the opportunity to give their classmates stickers on their packets as students raise their hand to give the signal that their bell ringer is complete. Since incorporating this, students are less distracted because they realize that there is only a short time they have to complete the bell ringer and cannot afford to engage in off task behavior.

Another classroom management technique I have incorporate is encourage the moving around as much as possible. For instance, I currently do learning station where each lab table will start at the station they are sitting at and will be given a set period of time to interact with that learning station prior to moving onto the next station for notes. Also, this strategy has been used when we are reviewing for a test or quiz. Each table is responsible for a set of questions that are on the review sheet. In the center of each table is a large post it note where they will record their responses, initial where they contributed, and I will reply beneath their responses and also circle the concepts that they need to know for that upcoming test or quiz. Students have found this to be helpful and I plan to implement this into future lesson plans as well.

Finally, my last classroom management technique that I have been working on is making a reward system for my students that rewards good behavior. I have created cobra pride slips where students who are completing their activities without being asked and are working constructively with others, they will earn a slip to put their name on. At the end of each class period, I collect the pride slips for those who would like to enter their names for the drawing at the end of the week. If a student's name is called, students can pick between scratch and sniff stickers, homework pass, glow pens, pencils, erasers, etc. While this prize box is elementary to some, it works and my students are really excited about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortening food chains: Circle of Life or Human Interference?

Use of Concept/ Definition Map in the Science Classroom

Under the Sea: Food Chains for Aquatic Life