Demographics and Socio-economic Status


In the school I am currently at, I have a mixture of different ethnic backgrounds, but overall I still do have Caucasian children in the majority of my six classes. In the total one hundred and thirty-five students I teach, there are nineteen African American, one Hispanic, and one hundred fifteen Caucasian students. The one Hispanic student I have in class does have English as a second language, but he is adapting well to his surroundings. However, I have found that even though the student understands and can speak the English language well, there seems to be a disconnect with taking tests. When I do talk with this student to determine where things might have went wrong, we came to the conclusion that the student just did not fully understand what the question was specifically asking or misread an answer to a question and ended up selecting the wrong response by mistake. In all honesty, we have all been there were at some point on a test we misread a question or answer and ended up making a mistake on a test because of it.



Overall, I do not have any concerns at the moment for my student who is an English Language Learner because the issues with testing can happen to anyone. As for socioeconomic backgrounds are concerned, this pandemic has truly taught me a ton on where my students stand in terms of socio-economic backgrounds. In the first week, I called home my first round of students for my first period A day class. From my discoveries, all students have access to the internet and also a device to access HAC, itsLearning, and students email (outside of a cell phone). However, I did find out that a student of mine only has access to both internet and a device outside of the cell phone at the public library. With the public libraries being closed, this in turn placed another one of my students onto the no list. This made me work with my student more and assure that they are getting the learning experience packets so that I can help as best as I can during this difficult time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortening food chains: Circle of Life or Human Interference?

Use of Concept/ Definition Map in the Science Classroom

Under the Sea: Food Chains for Aquatic Life