Classroom Reflection

As we are entering the last quarter of the year (unofficially), I have a few goals for myself. These are to continue building positive rapport, managing my classroom better, and determining how to use questioning better to aide in guiding instruction.
During my experiences, I would probably say that the high points are being in the classroom every day. Even if the class was not perfect, it still supplies me with information that a particular component or activity within a lesson does not work. This means for me that there is something out there or a different technique that can be used to relay the same information while also keeping students engaged the entire time. While this has been my first year, there have been many highs and lows for this year. Out of all of my experiences, I would say that would be when I had one student goofing off when getting their goldfish out of the tank for a lab. This resulted in the lid to separate from the container and goldfish were EVERYWHERE. At first, I was in initial shock that it happened and then I went into clean up mode to try to save the fish so we could move forward with the lab. While this incident had me terrified, it further validated how important it is to always have a backup plan. That way if anything else goes on, kids can complete the lesson on the same content without the same materials.



Another low for me was when I had a fiber analysis lab with my forensics students. It was a very lengthy two day lab and used chemicals to treat fabrics and determine the components of the fibers. Since groups were all in different places, I gave each group chemicals to finish up where they left off so they could continue the next part of the lab. By the end of this class period each group called me over to light their candle to observe what happens to each fiber when exposed to a flame. While I was checking on another group, I noticed a candle fell on the floor. I checked on the group thinking the entire thing was an accident and was relieved that the flame was put out quickly and no one got hurt. By my lunch period, a group of friends asked me “what is going to happen to ***?” and I told the students my perception of the incident was the candle got knocked over on accident so I do not get why you guys are asking me about this unless this student did this on purpose. In that moment, I can tell that something was up. By the end of the day, a student in my last period class showed me the video of one student pouring acetone over an open flame and pushed a candle on the floor. At that moment I was hurt because I trusted my upper classmen to be mature and responsible and to do this right before thanksgiving break, I had to spending two extra hours writing a referral to report the behavior.



Even though those two lows (one incident on accident and one on purpose) really made me question if I am in the right profession or if I was doing something wrong, I have had many great days. I was extremely nervous to get observed in a class that is small in number but very large with the various personalities that are in the room. Before my principal came him, one of my students called me over to their desk and told me no matter what happens always remember you are an amazing teacher. It was something that was so small but hearing that when I needed it the most truly meant a lot to me. Despite my nerves I was able to use the 5E model to engage my students right away at the beginning and use the phenomenon discussed at the beginning of the lesson to guide their learning throughout the period.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortening food chains: Circle of Life or Human Interference?

Use of Concept/ Definition Map in the Science Classroom

Under the Sea: Food Chains for Aquatic Life